How to become a Debian developer?

Hello Debian mentors folks,

I'm a Debian GNU/Linux user since two years now, I use Debian on several
workstations and server systems which always run stable and secure.

I'm completely satisfied with Debian GNU/Linux and recommended it to all
the IT related people I know (now also my mom runs Debian on her iMac).

Now I would like to give back something to the Debian community, the
best way I can do it is to become a Debian developer and contribute to
the package maintain process of the Debian system.

During the last years I've learned how to administrate Open Source
projects, how to interact with the community and how to write some good
Perl and PHP code for several open projects, I think this technical skills
can be quite useful as a Debian developer.

In order to contribute to the Debian project, and become this way a
Debian developer, I'm considering to maintain an orphaned Debian package,
maybe something regarding to Perl or PHP in order to be able to interact
with the upstream maintainer on advanced technical levels, this way the code
and the quality of the package itself could eventually be improved.

If anyone on this list is searching for a maintainer for a package
related to Perl or PHP I'm available as contributor to the Debian
project.

I hope in some feedback,
Have a nice day and happy 2003!

 I.