Re: How to become a Debian developer?

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 01:33, Ivo Marino wrote:
> If anyone on this list is searching for a maintainer for a package
> related to Perl or PHP I'm available as contributor to the Debian
> project.

While you're waiting to find a package...
There's much more to being a developer than just package maintenance.
One of the major items is looking after bugs. Anybody can go to
http://bugs.debian.org and look at the list of bugs for their favourite
perl or php packages. The maintainer of those packages will almost
certainly appreciate you adding comments to the bugs, such as saying
whether it works for you in unverified cases, or perhaps providing
patches or idea to help fix the problem. Also, try looking at the lists
of RC bugs, old bugs, or bugs tagged help.
Also, there are a number of larger projects asking for help. Please see
http://www.debian.org/devel/todo

Becoming an official developer can take a long time, as you will see by
looking at the statistics at http://nm.debian.org. I think one of the
ways to speed this up is to prove that you are interested in being part
of the Debian community, rather than just maintaining your own packages.
--
  .''`. Mark Howard
 : :' :