Re: When to close bugs on old package versions

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 07:54:14PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:

> But a bug marked 'potato' but that won't be fixed because it's not security
> critical - is that still a bug?  I mean, it is an issue with the package,
> but because it only affects potato (or, by extension, the stable
> distribution, whatever it may be) it's never going to get fixed, so what is
> to be done with the bug?  Do we just leave them open forever, or should they
> be marked somehow?  I think that tagging them somehow is the way to go - the
> Potato tag could serve that role, I guess, but that tag also flags bugs
> which may be security or RC.

No, tagging the bug 'potato' only means that it's a bug that pertains
specifically to potato.  There are NO RC bugs that are potato-specific,
because potato is already released. ;)  And for security-related bugs,
there are other BTS tags.  For my part, I've been tagging such
potato-specific bugs as 'potato' and leaving them open, with the
expectation that once woody is released we can have a mass closing of
all such bugs.  (With champagne, etc.)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer