Re: handling file name conflict

Alexandre <Alexandre.Fayolle@logilab.fr> writes:

>  * having pyro and host conflict (but this annoys me since I need both
>  packages on my machine)

Note that bind9-host also provides the "host" binary, but without the
"mx", "ns", "soa", etc. convenience symlinks (at least I guess they
are symlinks).

>  * renaming pyro's ns to, say 'pyro_ns', and changing all instances of
>  'ns' to 'pyro_ns' in the documentation and other programs

Viable solution, although I prefer "pyro-ns" for reasons of aesthetics
and typeability.

>  * installing pyro's ns to another place than /usr/bin (without violating
>  the Policy?)

If it really is a daemon and not usually executed by the user it may
go in /usr/sbin, or somewhere under /usr/libexec, or even /usr/share.

>  * insisting heavily on the author so that he changes the name

Probably the best solution. Names of binaries that end up in the
path should be huffman coded (i.e. frequent usage => short name). This
program doesn't strike me as getting executed that often.

Diverting (see dpkg-divert(8)) is also a possibility but I'm not sure
it is a good one.

--
Robbe