qt3 qsetting-dir

I have a package that installs an rc file that tells the application
where it's files are... in this case, /usr - i.e., this file basically
contains the --prefix= path. Apparently this is a qt3 thing, of sorts.

I'd think this should go in /etc, then again, it's not something that
ever gets changed, can it go somewhere in /usr/share ? Maybe
/usr/share/qt3/* some place?

I have configured with a --with-qsettings-dir switch set to "/etc", but
the rc file still gets installed in /. So I add a QSETTINGSDIR
environment variable. Now the rc file is installed in the right place,
but the application isn't finding it. From strace I see it is looking
for /usr/etc/settings/kmatplotrc (the package in question is kmatplot).

This is some qt3 functionality, I believe - so is this hardcoded into
the qt3 libs, maybe, and I need to set my variables to the same as the
qt3 libraries? As it looks in /usr/etc..., it seems I must set prefix to
/ , and tune all the other paths by hand (i.e. add /usr to all of them)?

Thanks,
Hugo van der Merwe