Re: Library package naming

Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> writes:

> I'd rather have shared libs with some Debian-specific
> versioning than unversioned static library because it is easier to track
> bugs on them, and fix them.

The problem is that if upstream gets "real" later and uses proper
versioning that may clash with our propped-on versioning scheme. This
could be prevented by using sonames that are intentionally different
(e.g. libijt-x.so.0 instead of libijt.so.0)

The other problem with shared libs in the experimental stage is that
they have to raise their major version number pretty often, generating
a stream of libijtN packages, each of which has to be processed twice by
ftpmasters (adding and later removing it).

--
Robbe