Re: Library package naming

Roger Leigh <rl117@york.ac.uk> immo vero scripsit:

> I have packaged libijs for Debian, but I'm not certain what package
> names to use.  I can't see a clear answer from Debian Policy or
> current practice in Debian.
>
> For shared libraries, I would use libijs{n} and libijs-dev, but ijs
> does not yet have a stable ABI, and is not versioned properly as well
> as being tiny, so I have just packaged it as a static library.
>
> Would 'ijs-dev' be legal (as in publib-dev), or should I use
> 'libijs-dev' (or is this for shared libs only?).

I'd rather have shared libs with some Debian-specific
versioning than unversioned static library because it is easier to track
bugs on them, and fix them.

However, please see my libpkg-guide.

I'm trying to collect some more information/examples
into the list.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4