Re: gpg key validity question

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 10:50:43AM -0400, Chad Miller wrote:
> No!  One doesn't really sign "keys".  One signs identification.  If you meet
> someone, your goal is to match the picture ID with the face, and the name on
> the ID with the UID in the keyring.  Just because we meet, and I show you
> an ID doesn't mean you should accept any key I give you, else I could have
> you vouch for the identity of myself as "Bubba <president@whitehouse.gov>".
>
> Now, there's usually no good way to match the email address with the
> person, but as long as the name-part of the ID is okay, you might be
> comfortable signing those you're reasonably sure are okay, but only if they
> have the person's real name.  "Chad Miller <president@whitehouse.gov>" is
> hard to dispute in a bar, but you should make ABSOLUTELY SURE about the
> Chad Miller part.  It's the "Chad Miller" part that you're signing.
>
> In short, meet someone.  Match their face to their ID.  Match their ID to
> the key UID they claim.  Glance at the email address, to check that it's
> not obviously bogus.  If any fail, then do nothing.
>
> 							- chad

I understand your point of view.

But :

IDs are easily forged. I am sure of that since I have see how it works
here in the US when I got my Pennsylvania Driving License. In France
(where I am from) I believe it is harder to fake an ID but it's still
possible. I consider the ID to be ONLY a part of the verification
process. I believe that someone who signs a key of someone he knows well
after exchanging crypted email give you a stronger proof that someone
that sign a key simply after seeing the fingerprint and the ID on a
signing party and meeting the person for the first on last time.

Christophe

Cats seem go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for
what you want. --Joseph Wood Krutch