Re: Local archive tools?

Hi

Sorry for not replying this until now. I only sporadically read
this mailinglist.

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 07:04:52PM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> I've asked around a bit, but I still haven't gotton any really useful info
> to date, so I'll try here:
>
> debarchiver will build an archive, given the standard files that are made
> by dpkg-buildpackage. However, there are a few issues with this:

I'm the upstreadm and maitainer of debarchiver so I might be able
to answer your questions. :)

> 1) It doesn't appear to use the 'pool' setup that Debian's core does.

No it doesn't. It is on the todo list but I probably will not implement
it this year. Quite a lot of the code have to be changed. Or at least
the functionality of dpkg-scanpackages and dpkg-scansources have
to be rewritten in a more extendible way.

> 2) It has no support (that I can find) for verifying GnuPG signatures.

It should be easy to implement though. Patches are welcome.

> 3) It doesn't appear to be able to use the different queues that are set
>    up on the main archive.

That should not be a big problem to implement either. You have to change
the copy command in the configuration to scp or rsync and also change
the destination directory for the archive. Disable removal of old files
and on the master run debarchiver --autoscanall regulary.

> However, I cannot find a listed package of the software which is actually
> used to do all of these on the main site (references to both dinstall and
> katie abound, but neither of them appear to be packaged).

They are not packaged. The reason why I wrote debarchiver was that
tried to use katie but never found out how to set it up. It was easier
to rewrite the code than to figure out how to tweak katie.

> Can someone who understands the underlying setup give me some advice on how
> to deal with this? (Note: I realize the feature set I'm after isn't useful
> to most folks; I'm running the temporary archive for one of the new-arch
> ports which does not yet have space in the main archive, but we'd really
> like to be able to do it "just like" the real thing, with the exception of
> a few extra limitations).

If the "potato style" is enough for you debarchiver is probably enough. But
if you need pools you have to either patch debarchiver, write something
yourself or try the cvs of katie.

Regards,

// Ola