Re: Library packaging

This one time, at band camp, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
>The upstream may "fix the package slightly" to make
>binary-incompatible change to the library, and call it
>0.3.0 (well, it's only natural).
>
>However, in the library sense, if it is binary-incompatible,
>it should have a new soname, i.e. 1.0.0

Are there ways to test libraries against other versions to check for a
binary incompatibility, or does it rely on a human recognising such a
change?

--
jaq@spacepants.org                           http://spacepants.org/jaq.gpg

Words fail me.  Thank goodness I can make gestures.
        -- Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes in the Scary Devil Monastery