Re: Library packaging

Jamie Wilkinson <jaq@debian.org> cum veritate scripsit:

> >However, in the library sense, if it is binary-incompatible,
> >it should have a new soname, i.e. 1.0.0
>
> Are there ways to test libraries against other versions to check for a
> binary incompatibility, or does it rely on a human recognising such a
> change?

It does depend on human checking.

A good sign of binary incompatibility include:

Function name change (possible to inspect using objdump -p )
New function/obsolete function symbols
Header file contains definition for structures, and they are changed
function expects different arguments than before

So library package maintainers are somewhat expected to
be monitoring the upstream source difference, or trust
that the upstream does the right thing with it.

There may be more.

# If anyone has a good tool, please tell me.

The best sign of a changed interface are:

o  random segfault
o  irrational behavior

regards,
	junihi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4