Packaging pre-compiled programs...

Warren,

>>> Warren Turkal <wturkal@cbu.edu> 02/17/02 04:19PM >>>
>Are you trying to take a precompiled program (like distributed-net) and
>package it for use ....

      I've been meaning to ask about that;   how does one go about doing that?   There's a program I use that currently only comes as a pre-compiled package;   it has several binaries & also has subdirectories of other files it depends on...   (I install it off of the /opt directory...)

      What I'd like to do is to at least create a installer package for debian systems;  so that it can be used to satisfy dependancies, for instance...   I've seen an example of something like that;  the debian package assumed that the archive of what was being installed was in /tmp...    Is that the way to do it?   Or are there better ways of doing it?

rjc