Re: Proper section for perl manpages

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 10:59:45PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Duncan Findlay wrote:
> > I was wondering what the proper extensions for perl manpages are.
> >
> > My package, spamassassin, currently installs a lot of manpages in section 3
> > as *.3p.gz. In perl policy, it states that this should be *.3perl.gz, but
> > I've also noticed a large number of packages we *.3pm.gz manpages. Could
> > anyone explain what I should do, and whether all these other packages are
> > deserving of bug reports?
>
> Hm, it seems to be nearly evenly split. I had thought .3pm was ok for
> perl modules.

But should I change from .3p to .3perl (and encourage the same upstream)?

> > Also, spamassassin has 2 manpages for daemons, and these should, as I
> > understand it, in section 8, since only system admins would run them.
> > However, perl policy seems to indicate that only section 1 and 3 can be
> > used. (I think this might have something to do with perl makefiles too.)
> > Should I move the manpages to man8?
>
> Well perl policy says to use the standard directories. The fact that it
> only bothers to list two of them does not override debian policy which
> says sysadmin stuff goes in man8.

Actually, I believe debian policy defers that to the FHS, which isn't
particularly clear about what is section 1, and what is section 8, just
gives guidelines, it seems.

> MakeMaker, however, only supports man1 and man3, AFAIK. This is probably
> because some of the other sections arn't present on all unices. It
> shouldn't stop debian packages from doing the right thing.

Alright. I will implement a nice kludge soon :-)

--
Duncan Findlay