Re: Proper section for perl manpages

Duncan Findlay wrote:
> I was wondering what the proper extensions for perl manpages are.
>
> My package, spamassassin, currently installs a lot of manpages in section 3
> as *.3p.gz. In perl policy, it states that this should be *.3perl.gz, but
> I've also noticed a large number of packages we *.3pm.gz manpages. Could
> anyone explain what I should do, and whether all these other packages are
> deserving of bug reports?

Hm, it seems to be nearly evenly split. I had thought .3pm was ok for
perl modules.

This is a pretty minor issue though, the perl/pm bit is not visible to
the user unless they need to use it to disambiguate from some other man
page also in section 3.

> Also, spamassassin has 2 manpages for daemons, and these should, as I
> understand it, in section 8, since only system admins would run them.
> However, perl policy seems to indicate that only section 1 and 3 can be
> used. (I think this might have something to do with perl makefiles too.)
> Should I move the manpages to man8?

Well perl policy says to use the standard directories. The fact that it
only bothers to list two of them does not override debian policy which
says sysadmin stuff goes in man8.

MakeMaker, however, only supports man1 and man3, AFAIK. This is probably
because some of the other sections arn't present on all unices. It
shouldn't stop debian packages from doing the right thing.

--
see shy jo