Re: Lintian warnings on A+ package

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 10:42:31AM -0500, Neil L. Roeth wrote:
> On Jan  9, Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
>  > On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 11:05:42AM +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
>  > > Mmmm, the man page about dh_installman is quite obscure...
>  > > Ok, you should write something like
>  > >
>  > > debian/a+.1
>  > > debian/aplus-fsf.1
>  > >
>  > > within debian/manpages or debian/a+.manpages
>  >
>  > Or they can just go on dh_installman's command line.
>
> I neglected to mention I had tried that, too, with the argument "a+.1".  That
> did not work.  I think it should have been "debian/a+.1", correct?

Correct. They're relative to dh_installman's current directory.

>  > (Is the man page really that obscure? Maybe I just know what it's
>  > talking about already ...)
>
> You mean it's well known to those who know it well?  :-)

Quite. :)

> Seriously, I hadn't tried creating a file debian/aplus-fsf.manpages
> which the dh_installman mentions, so I guess that is a case where I
> could have RTFM a bit closer.  However, the proper syntax for each
> entry in the file or the command line argument is not in the
> dh_installman man page.  I got it from Francesco's email.

It's more a matter of being used to how debhelper works. For example, I
wouldn't expect cp's man page to say that I had to 'cp debian/a+.1 ...'
rather than 'cp a+.1 ...' if my current directory was a level above
debian! :) I think the thing to stress is that debhelper tools really
aren't magic black boxes - they're Unix tools like any other, and, for
the most part, they behave as such. The predecessor of dh_installman,
dh_installmanpages, tried to do much more guesswork, but in the end the
more normal interface of dh_installman turned out to be better.

If you run into problems, I've always found that /usr/bin/dh_* are
well-commented and quite easy to read.