Re: Lintian warnings on A+ package

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 10:57:30PM -0500, Neil L. Roeth wrote:
> I made packages for A+ and ran lintian on them.  One of them spits out a few
> warnings and one error that I'd like to resolve, but I do not know how.  I
> hope someone can help, since when I finish this I'll have built my first
> Debian packages!
>
> 1) "binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/bin/a+ /usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib"
> (warning) How do I remove this rpath?  The program uses autoconf, libtool and
> automake, but I am not familiar with these tools so I do not know where to
> look.

ldconfig is a Linux-specific way to provide non standard shared libs
dirs to executable. Other Unices uses  LD_RUN_PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH
settings. GNU cc and other compilers give also a -R or -rpath option
in order to add such non standard dir. So, many configuration programs
add (or try to add) this kind of option in linking phase.
You should cut away all this tricks. Find them in CFLAGS or so within
the Makefile or modify configure.in properly.

> 2) "binary-without-manpage a+" (error) I call dh_installman in debian/rules,
> but it appears to have no effect.  I tried building the package with a file
> called debian/aplus-fsf.1 (the same name as the package) and with a file
> called debian/a+.1 (the same name as the binary) and in neither case did a man
> page get installed.  There is no man page in the upstream source, the docs are
> all HTML; this man page just refers to that.

dh_installman and dh_installmanpages work differently. Check their
manuals. If you tried dh_installmanpages here you got all ok, I think.
Or list mans in debian/package.manpages

> 3) "non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink /usr/lib/libMSGUI.so.0.0.0
> /usr/lib/libMSGUI.so" (warning) This package is an interpreter, and the shared
> libraries are for running that, NOT to be linked against, so I think this is
> benign and I can ignore them.  Yes or no?

You've got yet an answer, I think.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine