Re: What license is 'uncopyrighted'?

Hello,

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 10:18:15PM +0100, Andreas Rottmann wrote:

> I ITP sqlite and am unsure about the license; the website
> (http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/) states: <quote>Sources are
> uncopyrighted. Use for any purpose.</quote>, but one file in the
> source tree mentions the GPL. Is it possible to have one's code
> 'uncpyrighted'? As I perceived it, the author is always the copyright
> holder...

> However, does anyone know what I should fill in in my ITP/Package for
> the license? Public domain? Should I ask the author?

This license would need to be clarified before the package could be
uploaded.  It may be that the author means for the software to be in the
public domain; however, placing something in the public domain requires
an explicit assignment saying exactly that.  Saying the software is
"uncopyrighted" doesn't help us because that term is not legally
meaningful.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer