[OT] Build systems / make (was: Re: ifeq( PACKAGE, "mypackage"))

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 10:11:25PM +1100, Andrew Lau wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 10:50:18AM +0000, Mark Howard wrote:
> > so that only the parts required for the current package are built?
> > (and also so that they aren't build twice).
>
> Isn't upstream's Makefile doing its job properly in only building
> something that doesn't exist instead of rebuilding everything?

For those interested, have a look at my build system, using a single
session make (Google for Recursive Make Considered Harmful to see why
that's a good thing) and fully transparent generation of extra
dependency information that becomes known while compiling (included
headers).

Together this setup guarantees correct builds and always allows parallel
makes, because it supplies make with a single, complete dependency tree,
so that it can do the right thing.

See http://www.xs4all.nl/~evbergen/nonrecursive-make.html

Cheers,

Emile.