Re: user for getting files

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 11:04:27AM -0800, Blars Blarson wrote:

> One of the things I'd like the debian package to do is download a
> couple of files (when changed) with wget on a regular basis.  Having
> root do the download is using a sledgehammer on a finishing nail, (it
> works, but you have to be realy careful to avoid damage), and none of
> the other standard users seem correct, but is it realy appropriate for
> a package to create a new user for a weekly download?  I'm planning a
> medium-priority debconf question to enable this, and the actual use
> will be in a conffile.

I'm far from an expert, but I would have thought that 'nobody' would be
appropriate for this.  Have nobody download the files to /tmp, and them
mv them somewhere else as root (or whatever user).  As long as you don't
trust the content of those files, this seems safe to me.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/