Re: FHS ambiguity: /usr/lib or /usr/share?

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 10:06:51AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I imagine python stores everything in /usr/lib, again as a practical
> concession to the fact that upstream installation directories don't make
> it easy to use separate paths for arch-independent and arch-dependent
> objects.

When python reads a library file it compiles it and saves the
"compiled" (I use the term loosely) version next to it with a .pyc
extension.  I am not certain, but it wouldn't be surprising if the pyc
files were non-portable.  This might explain why the stuff is not in
share, which I gather from previous posts is system-independent.