Re: FHS ambiguity: /usr/lib or /usr/share?

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 04:54:40PM +0200, Dmitry Borodaenko wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 02:25:15PM +0000, Mark Howard wrote:
>  MH> Java programs/libraries (arch independent bytecode) all go in
>  MH> /usr/share/java, as per policy. I guess your situation isn't all
>  MH> that different, so they should go in /usr/share, IMHO.

> That shows that Debian interpreted language policies aren't consistent
> on this issue, and whichever way I go, I end up inconsistent either with
> Java and Emacs (/usr/share) or with Perl (/usr/share and /usr/lib) or
> with Python, Ruby and Tcl (/usr/lib).

Perl seems quite consistent to me: arch-independent modules go in
/usr/share, and arch-dependent modules go in /usr/lib (including the
arch-independent wrapper scripts, as a matter of convenience).

PHP tends to follow similar rules.

Tcl is Tcl, so I wouldn't follow its example for, well... anything.

I imagine python stores everything in /usr/lib, again as a practical
concession to the fact that upstream installation directories don't make
it easy to use separate paths for arch-independent and arch-dependent
objects.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer