Re: What does dpkg-source mean with this?

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 06:58, Karolina Lindqvist wrote:
> tisdagen den 12 november 2002 21.28 skrev Roger Leigh:
> > It looks like all the files are pre-existing.  Try running dpkg-source
> > -b from another directory or renaming the noteedit-2.0.16 directory?
>
> That might be the problem, so please bear me with some questions so that I
> get this very clear to me:
>
> When you take a tar file from somewhere and make a debian package of it,
> should it be unchanged from upstream or can it be modified?

It can be modified. It should be unchanged. Being unchanged has beneifts
including but not limited to allowing users to verify the original tgz with
upstream and clearly showing (in the diff.gz) what changes were made during
packaging. If these changes can be sent upstream for inclusion in a later
release of the software, geat.

> For example, should (in this case) noteedit_2.0.16.orig.tar.gz extract to
> noteedit, noteedit-2.0.16 or noteedit-2.0.16.orig? Does it matter?

It doesn't matter. dpkg-source will extract the tgz to a correctly named
directory.

> Can the source tar file be called noteedit-2.0.16.tar or should it be
> renamed to noteedit_2.0.16.orig.tar

It should be called noteedit_2.0.16.orig.tar.gz, per the packaging manual.

> If there is an old debian directory in the upstreams tar file, for some old
> debian version. Should that be removed?

I would be inclined to leave it in the orig.tar.gz, but either patch it or
remove in the build process (in the clean target?). I'm don't have the
details of how to best do this handy, but iirc, this is the recommended
solution.

> If there are bin-files or *.o files or similar in the upstreams tar file.
> Should they be removed?

Not by you? Bug upstream about it, i think. Again, this is related to having a
pristine upstream orig.tar.gz if possible (but this is not essential).

> In KDE applications, normally a "make -f Makefile.cvs" (or similar) is done
> before the upstreams tar file is packed. But often that is done with
> another version of automake than debian is using. Often an old automake1.4
> or something. If some changes are needed to the *.am files, that will
> create problems due to automake incompatibilites. If no changes to the *.am
> files is needed, it might work even with incompatible versions, since
> automake is never called, but it might create trouble if something is
> changed.
>
> One solution is to make a "make -f Makefile.cvs" before building it on
> debian, but then the diffs with all the Makefile.in files etc. will become
> huge. Can that be done before packing the *.orig.tar file, to avoid
> rebuilding problems and making the diffs small?

I'll leave the rest for someone else, unless I get more time later. :)

Paul Cupis
- --
paul@cupis.co.uk