Replacing a single file with Replaces:

In the policy manual, section 7.5.1 "Overwriting files in other packages" it
says:
"However, if the overwriting package declares that it Replaces the one
containing the file being overwritten, then dpkg will replace the file from
the old package with that from the new. The file will no longer be listed as
`owned' by the old package. "

I read that to mean that you can actually replace a single file from a
package, in another package. But I can't get that to work. If I put
"Replaces:" and the package name which I want to replace a file in, dpkg
still aborts and says that the file exists in multiple packages.

How to get this feature to work, to replace a single file in a package from
within another package?

-- Karolina