Re: looking for sponsor

Quoting Samuel Benjamin Clegg, <sbc02@doc.ic.ac.uk> (2002-11-07 12:44:28 GMT):
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 05:05:06AM +0100, Simon Richter wrote:
> > Debian native packages should be used only if the software was
> > specifically written for Debian and makes no real sense on non-Debian
> > systems. It is very common that you change the packaging without
> > modifying the source code itself, and you usually don't want to release
> > a new version then, just a new packaging patch.
>
> Ah, OK, I'll look into changing the way I build it.  I was under the
> impression that debian native was the way to go whenever the developer
> and the package maintainer are the same person.  Is it policy, in this
> case, *not* to include the debian/ dir in the normal release tarball
> as I am currently doing?

That's right. Have your upstream tarball as everything but the
debian/ directory. It has two main advantages:

The software is more open to the general Free Software community,
since it's a tarball with no Debian-specific stuff included.

You reduce archive bandwidth since orig.tar.gz will stay the same;
only your diffs will change when a new Debian version comes out.

It also has been asserted that NMUs are easier to handle, but I'm not
sure why.

--
Andrew Stribblehill <ads@debian.org>
Systems programmer, IT Service, University of Durham, England