Re: looking for sponsor

On Thursday 07 November 2002 15:21, Andrew Stribblehill wrote:
> Quoting Samuel Benjamin Clegg, <sbc02@doc.ic.ac.uk> (2002-11-07 12:44:28
GMT):
> > On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 05:05:06AM +0100, Simon Richter wrote:
> > > Debian native packages should be used only if the software was
> > > specifically written for Debian and makes no real sense on non-Debian
> > > systems. It is very common that you change the packaging without
> > > modifying the source code itself, and you usually don't want to release
> > > a new version then, just a new packaging patch.
> >
> > Ah, OK, I'll look into changing the way I build it.  I was under the
> > impression that debian native was the way to go whenever the developer
> > and the package maintainer are the same person.  Is it policy, in this
> > case, *not* to include the debian/ dir in the normal release tarball
> > as I am currently doing?
>
> That's right. Have your upstream tarball as everything but the
> debian/ directory. It has two main advantages:
>
> The software is more open to the general Free Software community,
> since it's a tarball with no Debian-specific stuff included.

Hmm, somehow I fail to see why a debian directory should make a software
package less open to others. I'm upstream for one of my debian packages as
well, and I'm actually proud of having the debian dir in our main cvs
repository. That way everyone can have a look at it, without the requirement
of running debian to get the debian-specific stuff. And in case someone
doesn't care about it, a single directory more should not really confuse
anyone, IMO.

> You reduce archive bandwidth since orig.tar.gz will stay the same;
> only your diffs will change when a new Debian version comes out.

Wouldn't it be possible to just make the changes in the package directory and
import them into the upstream source separately? (Note, I haven't tried this
myself yet, since I've always had enough changes to the upstream source as
well to warrant the increased archive bandwith in case of debian specific
changes.)

Cheers,
Yven

--