Re: Converting dpkg-conffile in postinst

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 08:30:51AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 22:04:47 -0400, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> >On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 04:05:40PM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> >> Are you missing Marc's point?  What do you advise him to do, when his
> >> upstream changed the file format?
> >
> >Inform the user about the change, and optionally provide a conversion
> >script.
>
> OK. So I will be shipping a package that will break existing and working
> setups, while handling this automatically is perfectly possible.
>
> So be it.

Er...how will it break existing and working setups?  Assuming that you are
shipping a working conffile in the new format (and you should be), dpkg will
prompt the user about the changes.  It is the user's responsibility to merge
any changes that they want from newer conffiles, and they are given
notification about them automatically.

You have a choice about how to handle configuration files, either as
conffiles or using your own methods in the maintainer scripts.  If you feel
that you can do better than conffiles, you are free to implement your own
system, as long as you follow the guidelines in the policy manual about
configuration files.

The restriction is only that you must not mix the two schemes.

--
 - mdz