Re: Request for Sponsor for Xeukleides/Xeuklides

sbt <sbt@ginkwunk.net> writes:

> My packages are available in:
>
> http://www.ginkwunk.net/~sbt/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/
>
> I would greatly appreciate any help from a developer/potential sponsor
> who would look at may packages and provide constructive criticism.
> Please be gentle, I'm new at this.

OK, now that the source package is also there (you should maybe
provide the original tarball, too), only some short comments.

Your file debian/watch.ex does not have a newline at the end. This is
not good. Furthermore, you should rename it to debian/watch. (The .ex
stands for "example".)

Other than that, you have not really changed anything compared to the
last revision, so I am a bit reluctant to upload it. Consider trying
to clean up the package a little, like removing all those commented
lines from debian/rules (not the real comments, but e.g. lines like

# dh_installlogrotate

You could also consider making it conform to standards version 3.5.7,
e.g. support DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS. The debian/copyright file does not
mention the name(s) of the author(s) of xeukleides and neither the
name of the person(s) who debianized it. This should probably be
added.

As to the packaging in general: Would it maybe make sense to produce
two binary packages, xeukleides and eukleides? The latter would then
not depend on xlibs and libgtk1.2. And is there any reason why the
scripts euk2edit, euk2ps and euk2eps are in /usr/share/xeukleides
instead of being installed to /usr/bin?

Oh, and this is even more serious: Just having looked at the upstream
location, there seems to be only version 0.9.0 on
http://membres.lycos.fr/eukleides/download/index.html. However, the
orig.tar.gz is version 0.9.1rev1, where is that available? Oh, found
it from your watch file. However, the official upstream location still
links to aforementioned outdated URL. You should probably add
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/obrecht/download/ to the debian/copyright
file.

OK, I will stop here for the moment. As long as the Debian package
does not change very much and there is no new upstream version, I
don't see an urgent reason to upload this.

Lukas