Re: Request for Sponsor for Xeukleides/Xeuklides

sbt <sbt@ginkwunk.net> writes:

> I am not yet a debian developer, although I would like to be.

Have you checked http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint? It
contains pointers on how to become a Debian developer.

> I have changed the title of the ITO bug against wnpp indicating my
> intention to package xeuklides, a program to draw Euclidean geometry
> figures.

Well, there was some confusion (see below for details).

> I have also repackaged xeukleides which provides, replaces
> and conflicts with xeuklides.  My packages are available in:
>
> http://www.ginkwunk.net/~sbt/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/
>
> Adding:
>
> deb http://www.ginkwunk.net/~sbt unstable main
>
> to sources.list should work too.

> I would greatly appreciate any help from a developer/potential sponsor
> who would look at may packages and provide constructive criticism.
> Please be gentle, I'm new at this.

Please provide the source package, too.

> Although the previous maintainer of xeuklides/xeukleides has not
> orphaned xeukleides, the program in active development, I believe his
> intention was to orphan both.

Actually, he stated his intention in debian-private to orphan
xeukleides, messed up the bug report (orphaned efax twice), and then
Ola Lundqvist apparently mistyped it in his retitle request. It is
actually clear that he wanted to orphan xeukleides and to remove
xeuklides from the archive. So please retitle #162063 to "ITA:
xeukleides ...". (If I would do it, it would look like I wanted to
adopt it, which I don't.) I think there is no reason for you to
provide xeuklides packages anymore, it has been removed from unstable
and testing anyway.

> He appears to have recently moved to a location without consistent
> Internet access.  I have tried to reach him to confirm that he has
> intended to orphan both packages but have not been able to.
> Ultimately, I would like to mainatian xeukleides.  The earlier
> version, xeuklides, should probably be removed from the archive.

> From the Developers Reference at 5.5.2 and 5.5.3, it appears that I
> should file a bug against ftp.debian.org to remove xeuklides, but I
> would appreciate confirmation that this is the right thing to do
> first.

Yes, it would be right, if it had not already been done, see #162053.
:)

Lukas