Re: Sponsor for cdrdao NMU

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 01:46:28PM -0400, Lukas Geyer wrote:
> > I have just tried building it and noticed that the debian/rules file
> > does not set CFLAGS or any other environment variables for the build,
> > so it will take whatever default the user has. IMHO this is a bug, but
> > people might disagree. I don't know if changing this in an NMU is
> > neccessary but I would do it.
>
> I don't think this is a bug. Some people might even consider it a
> feature to be able to set CFLAGS from their environment when building
> the package locally.

OK, I can see that point. I tend to have a great bunch of debugging
options in my CFLAGS, and I wanted to have the build not depending on
this or some other random environment variables. If there is some need
of having the build respect CFLAGS, CC etc., I would just use a
wrapper which cleans the environment before building (like debuild
does). However, I would rather have builds looking at variables in the
DEB_* namespace, maybe something like DEB_CFLAGS, DEB_CC and the
like. I can see no unambiguous recommendation in policy or developers
reference, so I guess this is open for discussion.

> At any rate I would avoid changing this in an NMU.

OK, agreed.

Lukas