Re: Sponsor for cdrdao NMU

Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> writes:

> Hello,
> I am looking for sponsor for a NMU of cdrdao:
> changelog:
> --------------------------
>  cdrdao (1:1.1.7-0.1) unstable; urgency=high
>  .
>    * Urgency high because it fixes copyright issues.
>    * New upstream version 1.1.7 (Closes: #161885)
>       - Don't use and depend on non-free libedc any more (Closes: #162788)
>    * Use config.sub and config.guess from autotools-dev (add build-dependeny)
>    * remove and generate symlinks in RULES for ia64 parisc(64) and s390
>      The last NMU copied the files for s390 instead, making the patch grow.
>    * These two things could fix 116782, at least partially.
>    * Update Build-Deps: libgtkmm-dev >= 1.2.9
> --------------------------
>
> The bug #162788 was submitted on 2002-09-29, severity was raised to
> serious on 2002-10-02, I've told the maintainer on 2002-10-07 (monday)
> that I was going to try to NMU today if he did not respond and added a
> patch to the BTS. I've not received any reaction from him yet.
>
> I've no idea why Martin Mitchell does not respond, he is probavly
> simply too busy. According to
> http://qa.debian.org/developer.php/developer.php?package=cdrdao
> he is not MIA - his last upload was on 2002-09-06 (eject).

I think he just maintains too much packages, there are lots of NMUs
and bugreports he never commented on. IMHO he should orphan some of
his packages. (Sorry for the personal comments, but I have been
suffering from him not responding to email and bug reports for 5
months now, regarding gnuchess.)

> Whatever, I think the situation - the version of cdrdao in debian is
> not non-free but illegal - justifies a NMU to DELAYED/9-day.

I think it would even justify an immediate NMU. I will have a look at
the package, but as it is new upstream and sensitive stuff, I will
probably try ripping and burning CDs, too, so it might take some
time. (However, weekend is near...)

> The packages are available on
> http://www.logic.univie.ac.at/~ametzler/debian/cdrdao/

I have just tried building it and noticed that the debian/rules file
does not set CFLAGS or any other environment variables for the build,
so it will take whatever default the user has. IMHO this is a bug, but
people might disagree. I don't know if changing this in an NMU is
neccessary but I would do it.

Lukas