Re: dpkg's treatment of symlinks

Marco> I found out a little more about my current troubles with the
Marco> new versions of my packages mozart, mozart-contrib, and
Marco> mozart-doc-html.  The phenomenon is this:

Jérôme> The answer is there:

Jérôme> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200107/msg01666.html

Marco> 2. What do I have to do in order to prevent it from doing it?

Jérôme> See icewm package (maintainer scripts).

I have read the thread mentioned above by Jérôme before, and I think I
understand the reason why dpkg behaves this way.

But there remains the 'no return' part of Jérôme's post which started
the thread.  Does this mean the maintainer is stuck with a postinst
hack forever?  How is a transition to a symlink shipped as part of the
package possible in a future version?

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087