Shall we state about #17624 dpkg feature(bug?)

Hi,

  I'm facing a problem which seems to be #17624, in some of my packages.

  Summarized, dpkg won't accept to replace a directory, contained in an
  old version of a package, with a symlink to another directory (or
  whatever) provided by a more recent version of the package.
  According to 6.2.4 in the Debian policy (this section used to belong
  to the Packaging Manual), this is a choice in the dpkg implementation.

  At http://bugs.debian.org/17624, IWJ tried to give explaination about
  this but I'm not convinced at all and I don't really understand the
  problem. So did Yann who decided to reopen the bug at that moment.

  The easy workaround is to add the symlink in the postinst and not
  in the package itself, but I'm not very satisfied with this since
  it looks like a non return point.

  I would really like that we decide whether to close the bug and if
  not, whether dpkg has to be fixed in order to change its behaviour.
  This bug was opened more than 3 years ago, and I think it's time
  to decide on something.

  Thanks for your comments.

  Cheers,

--