Re: problem replacing package

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 07:02:34PM +0200, Matus fantomas Uhlar wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> -> That would require versioned dependencies on virtual packages (versioned
> -> Provides:) to work, but they don't. You'll probably have to use
> -> something like a high epoch instead.
>
> Pardon? Does that mean there's no possibility to provide one package bye
> another one, for other packages' dependencies to work? hmmm :(

Not if other packages declare *versioned* dependencies on it.

> And what do you mean 'high epoch'?

Something like 'Version: 9:1.0.0-1'. The epoch forces that version
number to compare higher than any version number with a lower epoch or
no epoch. See policy section 4 ("Version numbering").

(BTW, I tried to honour your Mail-Followup-To: and cc you, but my ISP's
mail server is blocked by yours, so I won't bother trying again.)