lintian warning - ?

Hello all,
I am making a .deb of a program, in this case kcdlabel, and I'm getting
the following warning from lintian:
W: kcdlabel: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/bin/kcdlabel /usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib

I don't know enough about the fundamentals of coding to know what it
means, much less how to fix it.  In looking at the rest of it, it
appears that it is a problem in the upstream code, rather than the
packaging.  Am I correct in thinking this?

I have not yet decided to take the plunge and ask for sponsorship and
become a developer as I'm kind of busy right now, but if I am correct
about it being an upstream problem, how owuld a more active developer go
about fixing it?  Contact upstream with a wishlist bug?  As of right
now, this .deb is just for home consumption, so if it's a minor thing,
I'll happily ignore it.  If anyone else wants a copy, let me know.  I'll
be happy to share.

TIA,
Steve
--
And then there was the lawyer that stepped in cow manure and thought
he was melting...