Re: [binary+libs] or [binary] + [libs]

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 09:25:17PM +0200, Jesus Climent wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am on the progrss of packaging passwdgen as a process of becoming a
> debian developer.
>
> The package comes with a binary and a library to implement the funtions
> but so far no other program has claimed to be using them, so far.
>
> I was planing to release the package as a binary only with libraries
> attached to it, but I would like to ask for advice from the mentors.
>
> I may have an sponsor (my regular one) but I will come back for help if
> him is not willing to do so after his holidays.

First you don't provide an URL so it's difficult to give you advice.
Then we have already a package named pwgen which seems to provide the
same functionality (perhaps it's the same soft but without url we can't
tell).

For the lib in a binary package, in my opinion it depends of the size of
the whole. If it's really small one package make sense. That said, if
in the future other programs are likely to use the lib, then it's better
to provide a lib package in the first place.

Christophe

> TIA,
>
> J.
>
> --
> Jesus Climent | Unix System Admin | Helsinki, Finland.
> http://www.HispaLinux.es/~data/  |  data.pandacrew.org
> Please, encrypt mail address to me: GnuPG ID: 86946D69
> FP: BB64 2339 1CAA 7064 E429  7E18 66FC 1D7F 8694 6D69
> Registered Linux user #66350 Debian 3.0 & Linux 2.4.19
>
> My idea of Heaven is a solid white nightclub with me as a headliner for all
> eternity, and they LOVE me.
> 		--Father Dyer (The Exorcist)

An empty stomach is not a good political advisor.
-- Albert Einstein