RE: Orphan Packages

On 22-Jul-2002 Tom Miller wrote:
> Hello,
>       I am not a Debian Developer, however I hope to be becoming one
eventually,
> as has happened on this board, most people who would like to become a
> developer post a package to have someone sponser it. If I were to do this,
> however one of the packages I wanted sponsered was Orphaned, would the
> process be any different. I mean this on multiple levels, for example the
> files in debian/ like control, copyright, and changelog, how would the credit
> be placed, would I add my name to the list, or take the previous persons name
> off? Additionally, should i submit a response to the Orphan message in the
> WNPP list even though I'm not a developer? Would it get sponsered the same
> way?

debian/control must list the current maintainer so it would have your name.
The changelog would continue on with a new maintainer's name listed.  Typically
your first release documents the switch.  copyright should contain the name(s)
of the people who have done the packaging work.  So if you add to the packaging
you should add your name.