Re: needing to run configure multiple time

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 06:36:51PM +0200, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> > The problem or rather in the configuration process which uses autoconf.
> > It seems to me that I need to run ./configure twice, once with
> > PYTHON=python2.1 and the other one with PYTHON=python2.2
>
> How about this:
>
> build/python2.1/config.status: configure
> 	install -d build/python2.1
> 	cd build/python2.1 && PYTHON=python2.1 ../../configure ...
>
> build-python21: build/python2.1/config.status
> 	${MAKE}

I had to see this working before replying. I feared I would get nothing
to compile because of relative paths problems but it actually works. I'm
impressed.

> This has the advantage that after a build, you'll have both binary
> versions at hand. Useful for debugging. OTOH, it means more disc space.

Disc usage is not a problem on the build servers, is it ? On my personal
machine, it's just a matter of calling the clean target when needed.

> And not using build2.1-stamp and the like means that if you changed one
> source file, it'll get rebuilt. If you use a stamp-file, it won't, and
> the problem may go unnoticed. It means a dummy make run tho, which might
> not be wise if even a dummy run takes long.
>
> (I think it is a justifiable compromise in many cases)

I agree. My question was more on the lines of 'is the configure target
mandatory in debian/rules?'

> Oh, and your approach should work too, even if it is not the best way to
> accomplis the goal.

I like the way you suggested better, and this is how I'm going to patch
python-gnome.

Thanks.

Alexandre Fayolle
--
LOGILAB, Paris (France).
Narval, the first software agent available as free software (GPL).