needing to run configure multiple time

Hello,

I'm facing the following problem. I need to get python-gtk for
python2.2. The package uses the default python version which is 2.1, and
I'm trying to change it so that it builds both python2.1-gtk and
python2.2-gtk.

The problem or rather in the configuration process which uses autoconf.
It seems to me that I need to run ./configure twice, once with
PYTHON=python2.1 and the other one with PYTHON=python2.2

Is it OK to have debian/rules looking like:

build: build2.1-stamp build2.2-stamp

build2.1-stamp: configure2.1
	#do stuff for py2.1

build2.2-stamp: configure2.2
	# do stuff for py2.2

configure2.1:
	dh_testdir
	./configure --prefix=/usr --with-gtkhtml --disable-numpy \
	            PYTHON=python2.1

configure2.2:
	dh_testdir
	./configure --prefix=/usr --with-gtkhtml --disable-numpy \
                    PYTHON=python2.2

clean:
 	# bla bla
install:
	# bla bla
binary-arch:
	# bla bla
binary-indep:
	# bla bla

This means essentially removing the configure and the configure-stamp rules
(and therefore reconfiguring everything each time we need to build).

Alexandre Fayolle
--
LOGILAB, Paris (France).
Narval, the first software agent available as free software (GPL).