Build Dependencies (was Re: Sponsor wanted)

hi,
to create the build dependencies, I just followed the instructions in
the new maintainer's guide:
strace -f -o /tmp/log ./configure
# or make instead of ./configure, if the package don't use autoconf
for x in `dpkg -S $(grep open /tmp/log|perl -pe 's!.*
open\(\"([^\"]*).*!$1!' |grep "^/"| sort | uniq| grep -v
"^\(/tmp\|/dev\|/proc\)" ) 2>/dev/null|cut -f1 -d":"| sort | uniq`; do
echo -n "$x (>=" `dpkg -s $x|grep ^Version|cut -f2 -d":"` "), "; done

This is obviously an ugly solution - it seems to give the versions of
whatever you have installed. How should build depends be handled
properly? It seems to me that doing this completely manually would
require knowledge of the changes between every version of each depend.

Is it just a case of editing the results of the above script and then
testing the packages to make sure it works. Is it then the case that
developers usually have fresh woody installs for each package, or at
least a woody install for packaging (I am currently running sid).

> Speaking of build dependencies: There is no libgtkhtml2-dev,
This seems to be available in sid only.

| Mark Howard               cam.ac.uk   mh344@ |
| http://www.tildemh.com    tildemh.com    mh@ |