Re: sponsor wanted

Oohara-san,
Thanks for your reply.

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:40:11 +0900 (JST)
Oohara Yuuma <oohara@libra.interq.or.jp> wrote:

> > http://gjiten.sourceforge.net
> > So I'm looking for a sponsor who would upload it into debian.
> I looked at it.  Comments:
>
> * This is not a Debian-native package, so you should provide
>   both of .orig.tar.gz and .diff.gz .
My package doesn't require an external patch (.diff.gz).
As far as I understood from dpkg-source(1), if there are no external modifications, then the source package name doesn't need to contain .orig.
>From http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-sourcepkg.html:

"If there is no original source code - for example, if the package is specially prepared for Debian or the Debian maintainer is the same as the upstream maintainer - the format is slightly different: then there is no diff, and the tarfile is named package_version.tar.gz and contains a directory package-version."

>   At least libgnome-dev and libdb3-dev are missing.
libgnome-dev added.
gjiten doesn't depend directly on libdb3, afaik gnome does. libgnome-dev should be suficient here I think.

> * You should not include INSTALL in .deb .
The interesting thing is that dh_installdocs does this (BUG??). I had to append --exclude=INSTALL to it.

> * Don't compile with -ggdb by default.
Forgot to remove that before release.
BTW, doesn't dh_strip get rid of all the debugging information ?

> * Being sponsored means you maintain the package.  To maintain
>   a package you need a Debian account and you need to apply
>   the NM process if you don't have one,  If you just want to
>   see gjiten in Debian, file a RFP bug against wnpp.
As I'm the upstream maintainer/developer I would like to maintain the debian package also. At least this is the recommended/preferred way I heard.
It looks to me that applying for the NM and getting sponsored is not that easy as I thought, though I'll try do do everything possible I can.
Filing a RFP bug is also fine with me, but I have a feeling that this will just sit there on the "wishlist" for months.

Any recommendations?

> * README.ja is broken (mojibake).  (This is an upstream bug,
>   not a packaging problem.)
Lynx used to generate it properly from html, but now the current version doesn't. Need to convert it into docbook anyway, so I removed it temporarily.

> * According to language-env, the default LANG for Japanese
>   environment is ja_JP.eucJP, not ja_JP .
According to /etc/locale.alias, ja_JP is an alias for ja_JP.eucJP, so I think this is fine as ja_JP.

I fixed all the things you mentioned, updated packages are available from http://gjiten.sourceforge.net.

Again, thank you for checking my package.

--
B0Ti.