Re: Request for sponsor for package romeo

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 09:10:28PM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Shaun Jackman <sjackman@shaw.ca> writes:
> > Is there a good reason to use docbook to write the man page? I find
> > it a little cumbersome. I tried it briefly, but I think I'll stick
> > to groff. Before I do this though, I wanted to know of any
> > advantages to using docbook.
>
> The main difference is that docbook (like good html, latex, ...) is
> logical markup, i.e. you identify what each part of your text *is*,
> while groff is mostly physical markup in that you define how each part
> of your text should *look*.

That depends on the macro set you're using. The mdoc macros are logical
rather than physical, but maintain groff's advantage of being concise
and not getting in the author's way. Full documentation is in
groff_mdoc(7).

(Most people hear groff and think of the man macros. This is roughly
equivalent to hearing SGML and thinking of HTML with all the
transitional stuff.)