Re: update-modules: error if /etc/modules.conf manually changed

Josselin Mouette <josselin.mouette@ens-lyon.org> writes:

> A user should never change the /etc/modules.conf file, as warned at the
> beginning of the file. He should create or modify files in
> /etc/modutils/ and launch update-modules, which is the good(tm) way.

This argument was also brought up in the bug. But the reporter actually
has a point: update-modules seems to support manual management of the
file (i.e. it does not blindly overwrite it), so he is somewhat
justified in beliefing that other packages should cope with that.

update-modules should return a seperate status code (or even just
zero) in the manual case, so that package scripts can detect and maybe
ignore that. If that's not already so, I'd file a bug on modutils to
this effect.

--
Robbe