Re: Packaging CVS snapshots?

On Mon, 03 Dec 2001, Duncan Findlay wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:56:57PM -0200, Carlos Laviola wrote:
> > Yes, I would like to know of an easy way to release frequent (weekly,
> > quarterly, monthly) Debian packages of CVS snapshots of certain
> > software like lopster and licq.

I use cvs-buildpackage, and a small script that exports from upstream CVS
into a "upstream" .orig.tar.gz tarball. The versioning is used to place the
"upstream" .orig tarball in time, and I send diffs upstream as if we both
were not using CVS.  The best examples of this I have right now are the
Cyrus 2.1.0pre packages in p.d.o/~hmh/cyrus2

This is about the same amount of work as using dbs, I think.

> My AM suggested that it is really quite easy to merely apply the debian
> directory to a cvs export rather that using the ever-so-complicated (and
> "evil") dbs.

That might work, too... but it IS prone to failure, if upstream changes
anything under your feet.

> Supposedly (I'm maybe wrong here) dbs does not give a clean .orig.tar.gz
> (which is a bad thing)

Well, there isn't a clean .orig.tar.gz when dealing with versions from CVS
anyway.

  Henrique Holschuh