Re: versioned shlibs file -- when and why

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> Suppose I have a package that produces a shared lib.  Debian policy
> 9.1 says I need to create a "shlibs" file.  No problem;
> "dh_makeshlibs" does exactly this.

> Now, the "shlibs" file can optionally have version info in it.
> Why would I want to put version info in there?

> One case that immediately comes to mind is if package version
> 1.1 produces "libfoo", and version 1.2 produces "libfoo" *and*
> "libbar".  You'd need version info for "libbar", yes?

Yes.

> Other reasons?

Version 2.1.1 of libfoo provides functions foo_open, foo_close.  Version 2.1.2
of libfoo provides functions foo_open, foo_close, and foo_read.  This doesn't
break the ABI; foo_open and foo_close have not changed, so there's no need to
increment the library so number (and thereby change the package name).
However, a binary compiled against libfoo 2.1.2 that uses foo_read will /not/
work with libfoo 2.1.1, so you need a version in shlibs.

HTH,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer