versioned shlibs file -- when and why

Hello,

Suppose I have a package that produces a shared lib.  Debian policy
9.1 says I need to create a "shlibs" file.  No problem;
"dh_makeshlibs" does exactly this.

Now, the "shlibs" file can optionally have version info in it.
Why would I want to put version info in there?

One case that immediately comes to mind is if package version
1.1 produces "libfoo", and version 1.2 produces "libfoo" *and*
"libbar".  You'd need version info for "libbar", yes?

Other reasons?

How is the -V option of dh_makeshlibs used?  Using naked "-V"
(i.e. not "-V 1.2"), you get a package that claims only the latest
version is sufficient to satisfy the dependency on "libfoo".
What is the purpose of doing that?

-S

--
by Rocket to the Moon,