Re: New-maintainer - STOP THAT SHIT

> I mean, is it really difficult to see how approving someone who'll
> maintain a couple of packages that'll get dropped into optional or extra
> isn't really a high priority? Is it difficult to see how someone might

The problem with this logic is that you don't have much chance of being
able to accurately determine which maintainers are going to result in just
a few package of this sort and which will do more, sometimes a lot more.
Joey Hess has said that if he had had to do everything the NMs these days
have to go through he probably wouldn't have bothered.  That bit of
empirical evidence alone is enough to convince me that the NM process is
probably more arduous than it should be.

Also, where I am at any rate, most all the people who are interested in
debian are standout types anyway.  I don't see why we have to give up on
the assumption that interest in our project implies extraordinay taste and
judgement, well deserving of our trust :)

Finally, the debian packageing scheme allows for a high degree of parallel
development, and it needs to, since we aspire to put a wrapper around
every single piece of useful free software we can find.  True, we have a
massive influx of NMs, but there is a massive influx of useful free
software, and we need to accept NMs at a corresponding rate if we want to
keep up.

Britton