Re: checking for Build-Depends during build?

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Joey Hess wrote:

> Stephen Langasek wrote:
> > I'm taking on the packaging of a library that has a build-time dependency on
> > the dev package from another library.  Do any of the dpkg-dev or debhelper
> > tools check for this line in the control file?  I've poked around a bit in
> > the source code, but haven't found what I'm looking for; even though the
> > line is there in the control file, the first thing to complain about its
> > absence is ./configure when it errors out.  Is there something I can put in
> > debian/rules that will catch this earlier in the build process, or is the
> > line currently only useful to the autobuilders?

> I wrote a utility the other day that can check build dependancies for
> you. It may or may not be included in a future version of dpkg.
> Currently, you can get it at
> http://cvs.kitenet.net/joey-cvs/bin/dpkg-checkbuild

Great, I'll take a look.  Out of curiosity, what criteria determine whether
it gets included in dpkg?  Clearly, I wouldn't want to have to add another
build-time dependency to the package just so I can check for build-time
dependencies. :)

Regards,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer