Re: checking for Build-Depends during build?

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 11:20:19PM -0600, Stephen Langasek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm taking on the packaging of a library that has a build-time dependency on
> the dev package from another library.  Do any of the dpkg-dev or debhelper
> tools check for this line in the control file?  I've poked around a bit in
> the source code, but haven't found what I'm looking for; even though the
> line is there in the control file, the first thing to complain about its
> absence is ./configure when it errors out.  Is there something I can put in
> debian/rules that will catch this earlier in the build process, or is the
> line currently only useful to the autobuilders?
>
> Steve Langasek

If you don't mind 'new/beta' packages, you can try apt-0.4 from
people.debian.org/~jgg. It supports apt-get build-dep, if a packages
control file lists the build-depends, apt-0.4 will handle them.

Note, it has problems with virtual packages in the build-depends line.
Also, apt-0.4 will require a local rebuild of debconf and removal of
any alternate apt frontends for the time being.