Re: binary dependencies

Hi Ben!

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 07:30:17PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:

> My point was
> that he cannot change the version of tcl that is program is *linked*
> against. That has nothing to do with anything Debian could implement.

Just out of curiosity. Can't we just link to a generic library version
if symbols are compatible!? Isn't this possible since symbols are resolved
at link time? I mean, isn't there some way to do it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't know the exact specification of
how that is done in linux/glibc. Though I did work with shared libraries
on amiga and solaris before and my feeling is that this is doable. :)
I only use libtool straightforward on debian and just know how to use shared
libs :)

> If all you have is a *script*, then do "Depends: tclsh", and viola, it
> works.

Hmm. Yes, that's what I'd done. My comments were general, though. Just
reflections on where include dirs, libs, docs, tcl packages, etc. should be...

Regards,

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr