Re: binary dependencies

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 01:25:50AM +0200, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 06:09:58PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > IOW, you are stuck using the version of tcl you compiled against.
>
> Should this be the case? Some of my packages use tcl/tk and I think
> the current debian setup isn't very compatible with tcl coding
> conventions. This I say because when I used tcl code that had
> tcl package command the configuration code became unnecessarily complex.
> Some complication that debian tcl packages brought. This might need a fix.
> Especially, there is a suggested directory layout that the tcl/tk
> upstream maintainers talk of, and IIRC debian doesn't follow that.

You don't understand, this has nothing to do with tcl scripts, it has to
do with library deps, actual gcc/ld linkages that get resolved via
ld.so.

Yes, you can install tcl8.[023] and use the alternatives to change which
version tclsh points to. There is nothing stopping that. My point was
that he cannot change the version of tcl that is program is *linked*
against. That has nothing to do with anything Debian could implement.

If all you have is a *script*, then do "Depends: tclsh", and viola, it
works.

Ben